Welcome to the GenomeQuest Documentation Wiki
If you purchase a Premium Product or Service from us, we collect financial information from you such as credit card number and expiration date. We use this information for billing purposes and to fill your orders.
Other Information Collected:
- Non-Identifiable Data: When you utilize the Site, we may receive certain personally non-identifiable information about your use of the Site. Such information, which is collected passively using various technologies, cannot presently be used to specifically identify you. We may store such information ourselves or it may be included in databases owned and maintained by our affiliates, agents or service providers. We may use such information and pool it with other information to track, for example, the total number of visitors to the Site, and the domain names of our visitors' Internet service providers. No Personal Data is available or used in this process. Some of the web pages of the Site may contain "cookies," which are data that may be sent to your web browser and stored on your computer. This allows our server to recognize you when you visit our Web site in the future and allows us the capability to improve our website and better meet your needs. Most web browsers can be configured to not accept cookies, or to notify you if a cookie is sent to you.
- Aggregated Personal Data: In an ongoing effort to better understand and serve the users of the Services, we may conduct research on our end user’s demographics and interests based on the Personal Data and other information provided to us. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis, and we may share this aggregated data with our affiliates, agents and business partners. This aggregate information does not identify you personally.
Our Disclosure of Your Personal Data and Other Information: There are certain circumstances in which we may share your Personal Data with certain third parties without further notice to you, including as set forth below:
- Business Transfers: As we develop our business, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event relating to all or a portion of our business, assets or this Site, Personal Data may be part of the transferred assets.
- Service providers, Agents and Related Third Parties: We sometimes hire other companies to perform certain business-related functions. Examples include mailing information, maintaining databases and processing payments. When we employ another company to perform a function of this nature, we may need to provide them with access to certain Personal Data. However, we only provide them with the information that they need to perform their specific function.
- Legal Requirements: We may also disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, (ii) protect and defend our rights or property, (iii) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Site or the public, or (iv) protect against legal liability.
Choices: You can use the Site without providing any Personal Data; however, you may not be able to use certain Services.
- a) if you post information to any public areas of the Site, such as bulletin boards (collectively, “Public Areas”), such information shall be deemed to be non-confidential and may be used by GenomeQuest or any third party. Please also note that any Personal Data or other information you provide to be displayed in your publicly available on-line profile will be displayed for others to see;
- b) if you make any unsolicited submissions to us of ideas for new products or modifications to existing services, and other unsolicited submissions, including all Publically Posted Content as that term is defined in our Terms of Service (collectively, “Unsolicited Information”), such Unsolicited Information shall be deemed to be non-confidential and we shall be free to reproduce, use, disclose, and distribute such Unsolicited Information to others without limitation or attribution.
We cannot and will not be responsible for what third parties do with any Personal Data or other information that you choose to make publicly available. As such, we advise that you exercise great care in determining what information you choose to make publicly available through this Site.
Children: We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If you are under thirteen, please do not submit any Personal Data through the Site. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 13 has provided Personal Data to us through this Site, please contact us, and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.
Opting Out: Upon request, GenomeQuest will allow any Registered User to opt out of our optional e-mail communications. You can follow the unsubscribe instructions included in each promotional email sent to you or simply send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and type “remove” in the subject line.
Security: We take commercially reasonable steps to protect the Personal Data provided via the Site from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from the Site may not be secure. Therefore, you should therefore take special care in deciding what information you send to us via e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any Personal Data to us via the Internet.
Last updated: January 26, 2012